While divorce is often hotly contested, there are some occasions where both parties end their relationship in an amicable and cooperative fashion.
If you and your spouse are capable of agreeing on all divorce matters (property division, spousal support, child custody, etc.), mediation offers both parties the flexibility to determine the outcome of their divorce. Instead of court litigation, the proceedings are led by a third party mediator who helps both parties come on an agreement. Each party would still need to have a lawyer on their side.
Benefits of divorce mediation in New York include the following:
- Less expensive than court litigation. There is no need to pay for attorneys fees or court fees.
- Quicker resolution. Without the need to wait for court dates that can take months or years, you and your spouse can schedule mediation sessions to immediately start the next chapter in life.
- Privacy remains intact. Any documents, notes, or verbal disclosures that happen during mediation are considered confidential and not admissible as evidence in court if no settlement has been reached.
- Less stressful. Divorces can be emotionally overwhelming, especially when it comes down to court litigation. Instead of determining a winner and a loser, mediation gives both parties the opportunity to agree on a solution without a judge.
- Learn how you and your soon-to-be-ex spouse can work together in the future. This is particularly true if children are involved. Once both parties understand that they can resolve their issues without emotional turmoil or court litigation, then they are able to work together after the divorce has been finalized.
If you are interested in mediation in the Bronx, contact Family First Legal Group today.