Bronx Spousal Support Attorney
Our Bronx Family Law Attorneys Can Help You Get Financial Assistance After a Divorce
After a divorce, your spouse may seek financial support for a definite or indefinite length of time. This is referred to as either spousal support or spousal maintenance. In general, spousal support is financial assistance awarded to a spouse by a Family Court prior to a divorce action in Bronx, NY. If the couple is seeking a divorce, the issue of financial support following the dissolution of their marriage must be addressed; this is referred to as spousal maintenance.
Types of Spousal Support in NY
Once the Bronx court decides that spousal support is appropriate, they will determine which form of support is most fitting to your case’s situation. There are four main types of spousal support:
- Temporary Support: This form is issued during the time the divorce is pending. A temporary order can be replaced by a final support order after an agreement has been made or the judge makes a ruling.
- Rehabilitative Support: This type of support involves payments that are meant to help the recipient obtain the skills or education needed to be self-supporting.
- Duration Support: Typically, support is awarded for a limited amount of time. This type of support is ordered for the remainder of the recipient's life.
- Purpose Support: This form of support is meant to provide for the recipient and enable the individual to be self-sustaining. The length of time for which this support is paid is determined by the NY court.
What is alimony in NY?
In some alimony cases the divorce court will award spousal support to one of the parties to help provide for their needs either during the process or for a specified amount of time after the divorce is finalized. Also known as alimony, spousal support may be awarded by the NY court depending on certain factors, such as:
- Age and health of each spouse
- Spouses' ability to support themselves
- Spouses’ standard of living during the marriage
- Any existing financial obligations for each spouse
Am I Eligible for Spousal Maintenance?
A number of factors will be considered by the Bronx Court to determine whether or not to grant spousal maintenance. Some of these factors include:
- How income and property was distributed under equitable distribution
- Age and health of the parties
- How long the marriage lasted
- Ability of the person seeking maintenance to become self-supporting, including how long it might take for training or education
- Income lost due to raising a family
- Who will be primarily responsible for any children following the divorce
- Tax consequences
Contact a Bronx Divorce Attorneys
If you would like to seek spousal support or if you believe your order of support needs to be modified, it is important to retain the counsel of a knowledgeable lawyer. Our firm has helped countless individuals address their support issues, and we are prepared to provide you with powerful advocacy before the family court in Bronx. You can be confident that our alimony attorneys from our team will relentlessly protect your rights and ensure your best interests are heard.
I would like to thank Empire Law which has worked on my case for doing an excellent job with taking care of the portion of my case. Thank you for your time.- Sherri
Very knowledgeable attorneys who will go the extra mile.- Brandon S.
If you are looking for a quick resolution to your dispute, questions answered in a timely and friendly manner, then this firm is for you! They were very professional and i will use this firm again if the need arose.- Tasha W.
I have went through a very difficult process. I went through two attorneys before meeting the Wayne Crowe Jr staff. I am so appreciative that I had the opportunity to have their staff work for me. I wish that I would have went to them first. Their staff Wayne, Caroline, Lee, Brian and Scott were all hands on and wonderful people. They not only cleaned up the mess the previous attorneys made. They were diligent, understanding and compassionate. I had the pleasure of having Caroline represent me and she is amazing.- Former Client
Good customer service and supportive agents. I'm happy and will recommended The law Firm. Thank you- Edith K.
Wayne and his team are absolutely the best!!! I can't rave enough about this law firm. When I first met Wayne he listen to my concerns and put my worries at rest. Initially I needed help with what I thought would be a simply child support case. Two years later I'm still going back and forth with this issue. My child's father is a real creep and tried his very best to hide his income. Geoffrey Greenless was able to see through deceit. Jeff (for short) ordered my copies of his bank accounts and went through each transaction with a fine toothed comb. Jeff presented the evidence in such a way the judge had no choice but to dismiss the fraudulent motion. Wayne and Jeff have always been honest and upfront. They've always made me feel like I was on the winning team. I’m able to reach Jeff or Wayne via email, phone or text message. Jeff has never been absent or late to any of my scheduled court dates. I would recommend this law firm to anyone. They are AWESOME.- Crystal M.
Unfortunately, divorce is all too common these days. Thank God mine was uncontested and fairly simple. The entire process took 4 months.. I never had to go to court, and only had to visit the office twice. Done efficiently and in a thorough manner.- John D.
My divorce was smooth and I am extremely happy with the settlement. After the divorce Wayne and his team also provided me with the legal support I needed to terminate my child support obligations and gain sole custody of my children. I am very pleased with the services provided and the outcome could not have been any better.- Ranjee R.