Bronx Child Support Attorney
Legal Representation Fighting for Child Support Rights in NY
Our firm is prepared to help with any type of child support situation. Whether you are a custodial or noncustodial parent with a child support issue which needs to be resolved, we can help. In addition, we can assist if you are trying to determine custody as part of a divorce, in a post-divorce situation, or as an unmarried parent in a paternity case. In addition, our child support attorney in Bronx, NY can provide the following:
- Focused On Family Law Cases
- Foundation Of Trust & Communication
- Powerful Insight Into Bronx Legal Community
- Quality Representation At A Fair Rate
- Free Case Evaluations Provided
Our child support lawyer in Bronx, NY, can advise you on all legal aspects regarding child support in your situation and represent you in any court proceedings. Our firm focuses on family and divorce law exclusively, which means that we are current and well-versed in case law and court procedure concerning this issue.
Call Empire Law today at (347) 378-1170 or contact us online for a free consultation.
Could My Child Benefit From Child Support Payments?
Thousands of parents pay or receive child support across New York City, but many people are still unaware of some basic facts of such as:
- Child support typically continues until the child is 21, unless the child is married, in the military, or self-supporting before they turn 21
- The parent with legal custody is able to file for child support
- If you receive a support order, you have 30 days to file an Objection with the court. The family judge will then decide what is best for the child.
Under New York law, parents are required to provide financial support for their children until they are 21. Child support includes cash payments based on one's income and the needs of the child, health insurance or medical support for the child, payments for child care, and payments for health care costs that may not be covered by health insurance.
How Is Child Support Calculated In New York?
One of the most common questions asked by parents is how the court determines the amount of support to be paid. The family judge will consider such factors as:
- The emotional and physical needs of the child
- The financial resources of both parents
- The child’s standard of living before the divorce
- Any special needs the child may have
- Whether one parent has substantially less income than the other parent
- Whether the noncustodial parent is paying support for any other children
Family Courts have to determine the amount of child support payments that a noncustodial parent must pay. If you have questions about your unique situation, our child support lawyers in Bronx, NY, are here to help you.
New York Child Support Guidelines
Standard guidelines are used by New York courts to determine child support payments. These guidelines are based on the adjusted gross income of the parent and the number of children involved. For those with an income exceeding $130,000 annually, the court will decide whether or not to use the guidelines and may consider additional factors in calculating child support.
New York maintains a Child Support Enforcement Program which has been established to collect and distribute support payments, enforce child support orders, and provide procedures to obtain court orders for child support.
Can Child Support be Modified in New York?
Parents can file for a modification in their child support order by submitting a Child Support Modification Petition. The petition will then be reviewed by a judge in family court. There are several factors that the petitioning parent can use for the modification request:
- One parent's income has increased or decreased 15% or more since the order was first made or since it was last modifiied.
- There has been a substantial change in circumstance, such as a great increase in the child's medical care costs.
- Three years have passed since the order was first made or last modified.
Are you facing issues with child support? Contact Empire Law today at (347) 378-1170 or online to schedule a meeting with our child support attorney in Bronx, NY.
Put Your Case in the Right HandsExperience the Benefits of Working with Us
Free Case Evaluations
Quality Representation at Reasonable Rates
Powerful Insight Into Bronx Legal Community
Foundation of Trust & Communication
Keen Focus on Family Law