Legal Separation Attorneys
An Alternative Method to Divorce
If you are having marital problems but are not sure you are ready for a divorce, you may consider a legal separation. To discuss your situation and find out if this is your best option, we advise that you contact us to set up a consultation with our lawyers. Attorneys Michael King can review your situation and advise you on what is involved in a legal separation and what your options may be so that you can make an informed decision about how to proceed.
Our firm is dedicated to helping you find the right legal solutions to your issues and following through with appropriate legal plan of action. Because we focus exclusively on the field of divorce and family law, we are thoroughly familiar with all of the legal aspects involved in these matters.
What are the benefits of legal separation?
If you are considering legal separation, it is important to speak with a knowledgeable attorneys before filing. There can be legal repercussions in the future if you improperly file, so you must be sure you understand the complexities of the law and all of your options. We recommend you schedule a free case evaluation with our attorneys.
After speaking with our lawyers, if you decide separation is the best option for your family, you may be able to enjoy some of the following benefits:
- Separation allows you and your spouse to get distance from each other and your conflicts
- Separation allows you to retain your medical and certain other benefits
- Separation allows military spouses who were married for at least 10 years to pursue benefits under the Uniformed Services Former Spouse Protection Act
- Separation allows you to take advantage of certain social security benefits if you remain married for at least 10 years
- Separation allows you to convert your separation agreement into a divorce agreement, with the help of an experienced attorneys, in the event you decide a divorce is best
Legal Separations in New York - What to Expect
A legal separation is an alternative to a divorce. During a legal separation, you and your spouse will live separately and adhere to a binding agreement drawn up by your attorneys. The separation agreement is signed by both you and your spouse. In it, all of the pertinent issues which must be resolved are delineated, such as child custody, child support, living arrangements, spousal support, and other details. Our Bronx legal separation attorneys can help you prepare legal separation documents to ensure that they are precisely drafted and legally binding.
Another method for attaining a legal separation is through Judgment of Separation, which is a legal action for separation which usually precedes a divorce. After the Judgment has been filed for a period of one year, either spouse may initiate a no-fault divorce.