Modifying Spousal Support After Divorce


Our lives constantly change, including our financial circumstances, which is why family courts allow spousal support to be modified. Whether you are the receiving party or the paying party, you can petition the court to modify the court order after your divorce if your situation changed significantly enough.

You can also discuss the modifying spousal support with your ex, especially if you are on amicable terms. However, even if you can reach an agreement on this matter out of court, you will need to take it through the appropriate legal channels and ensure it is enforceable. People frequently change their minds and you do not want to risk potentially being responsible for any missed payments.

Circumstances in Which a Judge May Grant Spousal Support Modification

Not all former spouses are on friendly enough terms to work out an agreement on spousal support modification. If this applies to you, you can still take the matter to court where a judge will determine if your circumstances changed substantially enough to warrant this request.

Below are some circumstances in which you may reduce or terminate spousal support:

  • You were laid off or involuntarily received a pay cut
  • You developed a medical condition or disability that prevents you from working
  • Your former spouse received a substantial raise
  • Your former spouse remarried
  • Your former spouse is living with a new romantic partner

Below are some circumstances in which you may increase spousal support:

  • You have a financial emergency, such as substantial medical bills
  • Cost of living increased
  • You developed a medical condition or disability that prevents you from working

Whether you need to increase or decrease spousal support, it is crucial to secure skilled legal counsel to help you navigate this legal process, so you can obtain the results you need. The sooner you get started, the sooner your court order can potentially be modified and accommodate the changes your life recently underwent.

Reach Out to Our Legal Team to Discuss the Details of Your Post-Divorce Modification Case

If you believe your spousal support order should be modified to reflect the changes you recently experienced, you need to hire an experienced legal professional. At Empire Law, our legal team is committed to helping individuals overcome some of the most difficult legal matters and is backed by a history of successful results. You can rely on our team for the exceptional legal advice and representation you need to achieve the results you deserve.

Call our law office today at (347) 343-5467 to request a free initial case evaluation.

Share To: